Create a new data point in the following ways:
Step I: Navigate to New Data Point window in one of the following ways.
Option I: On the Navigation pane, mouseover the Data Point, and then click New.
Option II: On the Navigation pane click Data Point, and then on the actions menu, click New.
The New Data Point window appears and prompts you to provide the details for the new data point.
Step II: In the New Data Point window, the window displays the list of supported data platforms, click and select a Data Platform.
Note: To search for a specific database, enter the keyword in search bar and the window displays the search result. Select the required data platform and click Ok.
2. Upon selecting the data platform, the window displays the general properties for the selected platform.
- Name field displays the default Data Point name and is editable. If required, define a name as per your requirement.
- In the Group Name field, either enter a new name or select a name from the existing list (here we are considering Teradata Data point for reference).
- To move back to previous step, click Back.
- To close the widow, click Cancel.
- Click Ok, navigates you to the respective Data Point workspace.
Step III: The General Tab displays the following details:
1.The Name is auto populated and editable.
- To edit the connection name, click the icon next to name field.
- Edit Name window appears and allows you to change the name.
2. In the Description text-box, provide a description and is optional.
3. Group Name field displays the Group Name selected. Further if required, enter a new name or select a name from the existing list.
4. To enable Default Data Point, select the checkbox Default Data Point. This enables you to configure the data point chosen as default native data point for creating data flows. Hence, upon creating a new data flow, the selected default data point is auto selected as native.
- Default Data Point option is available only for native Database types.
- When a data point is selected as default data point, the private data point option gets disabled.
- Only one data point can be set as default data point. If you try to set another data point as default, then while saving the data point, an error message is displayed 'CONN_NAME_2 is already selected as Default Datapoint.'
- While creating a new data flow, the defined default data point automatically is selected as native ( for reference here Teradata is selected as default native data point) and directly navigates you to data point workspace. For more information, refer Creating New Data Flow.
5. To enable a Private Data Point, select the checkbox Private Data Point.
- Refer Setting up Private Data Point, to work with private data point.
6. The details of the Data Point - corresponding parameter name, type of data point, the user who last updated the data point along with date and time of last save is displayed.
7. To configure other tabs, refer Working with Data Point.
Step IV: Save the data point
- If the changes made to the data point need to be reverted and not saved then, refer Reverting changes in Data Point.
- Once the data point has been created and the changes have been saved then, Close or Unlock the data point so that it is editable by other users. For more information, refer Closing Data Point and Unlocking Data Point.